We are Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). We help people worldwide where the need is greatest, delivering emergency medical aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care.
The Communications Department is responsible for developing a coherent voice and delivering clear public messages to inform both US and international audiences of MSF, its field activities and the humanitarian principles that underpin them; to raise awareness about the plight of the populations we serve; to promote public communication aimed at exposing and describing the field reality, including dilemmas and challenges; and to garner public understanding for our advocacy messages related to field operational concerns and the Access Campaign, via the media, print and digital channels , public awareness and advocacy campaigns, conferences, etc.
Under the direction of the Media Relations Director, the media coordinator develops and implements a media outreach and placement plan, and oversees all media elements in preparation for and during Forced From Home, a five-city, traveling exhibition in the Fall of 2018.
Media Relations and Strategy (70%)
· Generate media coverage for Forced From Home’s 2018 tour in local, national, niche, and diaspora media outlets.
· Field media inquiries related to Forced From Home and proactively pitch the exhibition to press.
· Develop and implement media planning, strategy, and logistics for Forced From Home in all exhibit cities.
· Monitor news and create media lists relevant to the exhibition, collaborate with and build relationships with key reporters in each city.
· Liaise with local media to set up interviews – coordinating on schedules and logistics – prior to and during the exhibit.
· Craft media materials and messaging for each city, including: talking points, Q&As, press releases, speaker profiles, and media advisories – and update materials accordingly throughout the tour.
· Identify and develop MSF spokespeople – including leadership staff and aid workers – and help them prep for interviews.
· Draft and submit calendar listings for exhibition in each city.
· Work with Media Relations Director to determine benchmarks for success, and analyze metrics and coverage throughout the 2018 tour.
· Work with Media Relations Director and communications team to update and finetune Forced From Home messaging in each city.
· Expected to be on site in every city to deal with media requests or needs.
· Acts as liaison between media and MSF staff.
Editorial & Content Creation (10%)
· Update and oversee press page on the Forced From Home website.
· Support Social Media Manager by occasionally posting to and creating content for @ForcedFromHome on Twitter and Instagram.
· Review and update existing media materials and press kits, including messaging and content.
Community Outreach (10%)
· Research and monitor local news in each Forced From Home city.
· Under the direction of the External Relations Manager, identify and work alongside local community leaders and city officials to determine how best to promote the exhibit.
Administrative & Management (10%)
· Attends regularly scheduled departmental meetings to share information and brainstorm solutions.
· Works with MSF’s domestic press officer to delegate and/or divide tasks in all cities.
Extent of Public Contact:
Within MSF USA, the position interacts with all levels of staff, Board, and aid workers to keep team updated on communications plans and needs and facilitates media interviews and events.
- Minimum 3-5 years communications and/or public relations professional experience, plus Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or commensurate coursework.
- Track record of placing top-tier media placements and generating earned media coverage.
- Strong command of the U.S. domestic media landscape, and sound news judgment.
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and support implementation of high quality events.
- Ability to work independently, move projects from conceptual stages to launch.
- Aptitude for objective and subjective evaluation of projects, ability to problem-solve and propose improvements in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have strong project management skills.
- Strong computer literacy, particularly in Excel, database software.
- Proven ability to handle and prioritize a large volume of work.
- Proven time management and organizational skills; keen attention to detail.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF.
- Experience utilizing social media as a media relations tool.
- Ability to travel domestically throughout the entire tour
- Available for event staffing, as needed, on evenings and weekends.
- Able to prioritize and track multiple projects at one time.
40 Rector St. 16th Floor, New York, NY 10006 | 212-679-6800
Salary range – Mid 70s to High 70s (salary commensurate with experience)
Desired Hiring Date
1, March 2018
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “Attn: Media Coordinator – Forced from Home”
For additional opportunities in PR, social media and media relations visit:
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: February 9, 2018