Edelman Practice Area: Brand
The Intern is responsible for assisting with implementing and monitoring projects within a specific set of accounts under the direction of the supervisor. S/he works closely with and supports the needs of the account teams. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Basic understanding of principles of PR
- Basic understanding of clients’ business
- Participation in brainstorms when invited by the supervisor
- Read and identify media clips from clipping services and on-line resources
- Assist with monitoring client competition coverage
- Pitch the media under the direction of the supervisor
- Assist with preparation of press kits for distribution
- Update media lists
- Assist with compilation of media coverage reports
- Familiarity with AP style
- Draft pitch letters and/or email pitch memos to vendors with the approval of the supervisor
- Conduct and compile research
- Basic understanding of key client information, including general business strategy, industry issues, products and services, key customers and competitors in the marketplace
- Basic understanding of research and media list building tools (Factiva, Edge, etc.)
The intern must be able to work effectively with a variety of account service staff within a specific set of accounts. S/he must have good organizational skills and the ability to adapt to new conditions, assignments and deadlines. S/he must have solid knowledge of MS Office Suite and superior verbal and written communication skills.
The Intern is generally someone who has recently graduated with a Bachelor’s degree and is looking for entry-level experience in Public Relations. S/he must demonstrate the ability to become a strong writer. Familiarity with the Public Relations discipline through past coursework or other internships is desirable.
Intern candidates must have interest in the public relations field and possess good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with others.
: Edelman Practice Area: Brand
The assistant account executive is responsible for supporting account teams in daily activities. S/he will learn Edelman’s various consulting processes/approaches, including public engagement, message workshops, master narrative assignments, brand engagement, social media campaigns and stakeholder mapping exercises, and support account teams in the execution of these processes for clients. Expected competencies include:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the social media industry and basic principles of community engagement
- Understand key client information including business strategy, products and services, key customers and competitors
- Provide client service administration including preparing client status and activity reports, attending meetings and conference calls, compiling conversational monitoring reports and competitor coverage, scheduling and logistics
- Research, outline, write, edit and proofread materials, specifically content calendars for Facebook and Twitter
- Assist with research including analysis of online conversations
- Coordinate projects and events including inviting influencers, attending events, and preparing reports
- Demonstrate a general knowledge of social media tools, including Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Gather.com,YouTube, etc.
- Contribute to the performance appraisal process for peers, managers and interns
- Supervise interns/ trainees
- Understand internal operations and inter-team cooperation
- Commit to continuous learning and improvement of your tactical skills by attending Edelman University classes and seeking other training, including on-the-job training and mentoring
Participate in the new business process including research, audits and preparation of proposals
Financial Planning and Management:
- Understand account budget parameters and over-servicing
- Provide administrative support for team
- Record and submit time, expenses and POs to the right project codes on a timely basis – ideally daily, but no later than weekly
- Notify supervisor of any potential cost overruns
- Follow all Edelman financial policies and procedures
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with Edelman’s values and Code of Ethics and Business Conduct
- Live “in color” by exploring and being active in the world outside of work, including the arts, culture, politics, literature, charitable organizations and/or other personal passions
Product Capability and Development:
- Learn about Edelman’s various capabilities and contribute ideas when appropriate about how to improve them and develop new capabilities
- Aid in the implementation of new capabilities
- Stay up to date with emerging technologies and trends
This is an entry-level account position. An assistant account executive will possess good interpersonal and communication skills along with the ability to work effectively with a variety of account service staff within a specific set of accounts.
S/he will have excellent organizational skills, keen attention to detail and the ability to adapt to new conditions, assignments and deadlines. S/he will have solid knowledge of MS Office Suite, general office logistics and will pass a writing test. S/he will have an interest in pursuing a career in social media. S/he must have a strong work ethic and dedication to consistently provide quality work to his/her team and clients. Previous internship experience in the communications field and a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university is preferred.