The Manager of Communications will manage and execute public relations activities for Major League Soccer and Soccer United Marketing. This position will focus on helping enhance MLS and SUM’s position in the marketplace. This person will to craft written content to positively affect and shape the public perception of the organization while upholding its values and integrity. The position is based in New York, NY. Please submit cover letter as one document with your resume.
- Strategic writer and editor who shapes public perception of the organization while upholding its values and integrity. Writing and editing duties to include, but not limited to: press releases, executive speeches, video scripts, event programs, marketing collateral, select internal and external written communications, presentation decks, and multimedia projects.
- Follow emerging trends in soccer and incorporate them in MLS/SUM written materials.
- Steer consistent and successful messaging throughout all communications, digital and marketing platforms.
- Manage MLS feature ideas and player profile content project.
- Pitch feature ideas to editorial decision makers and secure placement.
- Serve as Communications liaison to the following groups: MLS Digital (includes MLSsoccer.com, social media department, MLS Video).
- Lead and develop a strong internal communications process to successfully navigate MLS/SUM and its large stakeholder network.
- Support Executive Vice President, Communications with interview preparation for League executives, message points, and strategic messaging.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships with other departments within the organization to stay informed of new initiatives, program and other organization wide events.
- A degree in public relations, marketing, sports administration or related field is preferred.
- Strong writing skills.
- Familiarity with current patterns and trends in digital and social media.
- A minimum of five years of experience in public relations\communications, marketing or journalism.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced media environment and make quick decisions using sound judgment.
- Must be able to travel and be available to work during evenings and weekends when needed.
- Exceptional project management skills with ability to manage people/projects, delegate responsibility and provide follow-through on multiple projects.
- Individual must be detail-oriented and a self-starter.
- Ability to anticipate problems and identify opportunities.
- Ability to think strategically, creatively, and in an effective manner while managing multiple issues and projects.
- Public relations experience in professional sports.
- Knowledge and passion for Major League Soccer.
- Knowledge of the Spanish language is a plus.
Application information: https://careers-mlssoccer.icims.com/jobs/1196/manager%2c-communications/job