Publicist, New York Public Radio (WNYC, WQXR, and The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space)
From our state-of-the-art studios in downtown NYC, New York Public Radio is reshaping audio for a new generation of listeners with groundbreaking, innovative radio programs and podcasts including Radiolab, Freakonomics Radio, On the Media, Here’s the Thing with Alec Baldwin, Death, Sex & Money and Note to Self among others.
New York Public Radio seeks a publicist who will work closely with the Senior Director of Publicity to develop and execute PR strategies and campaigns to reach consumer, trade and online audiences. The publicist will be responsible for a range of public relations duties across all of NYPR’s brands: WNYC, WQXR, and The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space.
This position offers a great opportunity for a talented publicist to take on more responsibility, thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven culture, and become a valued member of a tight-knit and supportive team.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Actively pitch radio, podcast, digital, and live event content to print, broadcast, and online press
- Generate creative, compelling, well-written press materials including press releases, media alerts, pitch letters, bios, fact sheets, and more with the goal of garnering local and national media attention
- Actively contribute to creative strategy for larger programming initiatives and campaigns
- Cultivate ongoing relationships with key consumer, trade, online and community press
- Identify press-worthy radio and online content for relevant, targeted blogger outreach
- Publicize NYPR’s Community Engagement efforts to connect with new and diverse audiences
- Actively build and maintain press lists through ongoing research and media engagement
- Represent NYPR and the PR department with impeccable integrity, professionalism, and poise
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality of information, internally and externally
- Support team with select administrative tasks including tracking press coverage, maintaining press clippings, and drafting departmental reports for the NYPR Board of Trustees
- Manage interns and volunteers
- 3-5 years of PR experience required
- Bachelors Degree required
- Ability to work well with others and take direction
- Track record of securing positive press coverage
- Experience with heavy phone pitching
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sound organizational skills, with great attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities and multiple projects
- Ability to easily shift gears between independent and collaborative work andthe intellectual and emotional intelligence to navigate a deadline-drive environment
- Proactive self-starter
- Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Interest in media a must; WNYC and / or WQXR listener a strong plus
All positions at NYPR require:
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent communication skills-both oral and written-with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds.
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to: email, internet based applications for internal and external communications.
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus.
- Compliance with WNYC/WQXR policies and guidelines.
- Ability to work extended hours as needed.
Please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume. New York Public Radio must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy. New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.