As I begin the semester, I’ve been busy sending credit verification letters to internship sites for my students. It is timely to include a short list of tips for student interns.
- Don’t EVER enter a meeting, even an informal drop by from your manager, without a notebook and pen
- Don’t be afraid to tell your manager you’d like to be busy…ask for more work
- Don’t be a social media or text addict…SERIOUSLY…checking your status and phone can wait
- Don’t leave for lunch or at the end of the day without checking with your boss or peers to see if they need help with anything before you go
- Don’t decorate your cube with college party pictures, you are a working adult now
- Don’t PARTY…you may be at a fun work function or event…but YOU are working (regardless of how much fun your bosses may seem to be having…or not)
- Do PROOFREAD everything… no matter how mundane the task or email may seem, attention to detail and pride of ownership will pay off
- Do take initiative and come up with ideas for projects, pitches, organization, etc. Show your value! Great ideas can come from YOU and anywhere
- Do ask questions and ask for clarification if you are unsure of an assignment…asking your manager to help you prioritize is wise too
- Do provide short check in emails or updates to your manager regarding the status of projects
- Do solicit feedback and ask for areas in which you need to improve
- Do treat this as a job audition. Most companies are looking at you as a possible future colleague.